Gloucester Cathedral

A special place of worship playing a multi-functional role in the community

The Project

Project Pilgrim will improve and restore specific areas of the Cathedral to ensure it can fulfil its role as a place of dynamic spiritual, civic and heritage activity and play a key role in the regeneration of the city.


Building Control

The key areas of improvement and restorations under the direction of St Ann’s Gate Architects are:

Entrance –

New glazed vestibule and improved lighting, barrier free, giving access to the exhibition areas.

The Lady Chapel –

An intimate place for worship and contemplation will be restored to cure problems of damp and erosion.

Tribune Gallery –

A magnificent viewing area to fully appreciate the Cathedral interior which will contain exhibition spaces. For the first time the previously least accessible area will be made universally accessible.

Cathedral Grounds –

New Leaf Studio Landscape Architects are involved in the transformation from predominantly car park into a green city space for use by residents, worshippers and the wider community.


Oculus have proactively worked with the Design Team and Gloucestershire Fire & Rescue Service to agree a fire strategy giving access to the Tribune Gallery with the minimal intervention into the historic fabric and limited impact on the grounds of the Cathedral for fire service access.

CASE STUDY
Burwalls House

The Burwalls site consists of a substantial historic Grade II listed main house and stable block annex and lies in nearly 5 acres of land adjacent to Brunel’s world famous Clifton Suspension Bridge. The main house is in the Jacobethan style and was constructed in 1872 as a private dwelling by Joseph Leech, a local entrepreneur and owner of the Bristol Times and Mirror.

The site was purchased in 2014 by Kersfield Developments who obtained permission to split the main house into 5 impressive apartments, convert the Stable block in to 2 units and for the construction of 4 new detached dwellings.

The main house has been extended at various points during its history and some of the current works in this sensitive conversion were to remove elements of the more recent additions which are detrimental to the original building.

Read More

CASE STUDY
Island Pavilion, Wormsley Estate

As the name suggests, the Island Pavilion is located on an island within the magnificent Wormsley Estate. The jewel-like building, clad with glass and metal, sits serenely in the historic landscape.  The private dining facilities within are used during the summer opera season for Garsington Opera who have a magnificent performance pavilion on the Wormsley Estate. To the design of architects Robin Snell and Partners, the attention to detail in all aspects of design and construction makes this building a modern addition to the estate. The Pavilion is designed to fit seamlessly with the topography of the island and take maximum advantage of the panoramic views across the lake.

Read More

CASE STUDY
Norland College - Bath

First established by Emily ward in 1892, Norland College has become world leader in childcare training centred around the child. Having moved to various locations in the past, the College is now based in Bath. Along with its location, the curriculum at Norland has changed and progressed with the times to offer the most up to date academic childcare training courses and the highest practice standards in line with the latest research.

Read More