Marwell Zoo

highlighting dedication to the conservation of biodiversity and other natural resources

The Project

Intended to replace the existing Tropical World exhibit, the new Tropical House at Marwell Zoo aims to incorporate an Energy Centre using a sustainable energy source to power both the Tropical House, and other exhibits within the park. Animals such as sloths, monkeys and lizards will interact with visitors as they walk along a path through tropical themed environments of vegetation, waterfalls rock faces and aquariums.


Building Control

Oculus has been appointed by the main Contractor, Drew Construction to oversee the Building Regulations for the construction of the Tropical House shell. The elegant S-shaped design of the Tropical house incorporates a lightweight curved roof clad with a translucent EFTE membrane, supported by an exposed curved steel structure. A most unusual project particularly with regards to the implementation and scope for the Building Regulations.


Main image courtesy of Terence O'Rourke Ltd; side image courtesy of Marwell Wildlife

CASE STUDY
Shakespeare's New Place / Nash's House

Spearheaded by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, a new oak and bronze gateway was created that opens on the original threshold of Shakespeare's New Place. This new permanent exhibition brings to life the story of Shakespeare's New Place and the personal life of its most famous occupant, and where he had his family home for 19 years. 

Read More

CASE STUDY
Norland College - Bath

First established by Emily ward in 1892, Norland College has become world leader in childcare training centred around the child. Having moved to various locations in the past, the College is now based in Bath. Along with its location, the curriculum at Norland has changed and progressed with the times to offer the most up to date academic childcare training courses and the highest practice standards in line with the latest research.

Read More

CASE STUDY
The Walronds, Cullompton

The Walronds is a Listed Grade 1 building erected in 1605. It was originally constructed as a dwelling house but has been used as a meeting house at ground floor level with a maisonette formed within the two floors immediately over the ground floor.  The building was on the English Heritage register of buildings at risk.  The proposal involved the renovation and conservation of the building which includes improvements to fire safety.

Read More