The Walronds, Cullompton

Sensitively restored to act as a hub for community activity for all

The Project

The Walronds is a Listed Grade 1 building erected in 1605. It was originally constructed as a dwelling house but has been used as a meeting house at ground floor level with a maisonette formed within the two floors immediately over the ground floor.  The building was on the English Heritage register of buildings at risk.  The proposal involved the renovation and conservation of the building which includes improvements to fire safety.


Building Control

The refurbishment was carried out with great sensitivity under the watchful eye of architects Benjamin and Beauchamp.  Oculus assisted the Design Team by providing guidance on the fire strategy for the building. The historic fabric and need for limited intervention presented challenges for devising passive fire safety protection whilst avoiding having a significant impact on the building. A comprehensive understanding of the building fabric was a necessity and knowledge of suitable upgrading techniques to protect escape routes, ensuring occupants would be able to reach a place of safety in the event of a fire. 

Oculus liaised with the Design Team, Building Control Body and Fire Authority, obtaining the necessary approvals from the latter two bodies. The upper floors of the building are now in use as a holiday letting and the ground floor is used for a variety of community purposes.


CASE STUDY
Knole - Conservation Studio

The Conservation Studio is a new facility dedicated to conserving historical objects of the Knole collection. Located in a medieval barn, the Studio has been carefully converted into a two storey building with the original pitched roof profile having been restored after a fire in 1887. The new purpose designed Studio will offer an insight into the work of conservators and their important contribution to the conservation profession. Visitors will be able to observe specialists from multiple conservation disciplines in one location, and gain insight into a world rarely seen from behind closed doors. 

Read More

CASE STUDY
Tyntesfield

Tyntesfield is a spectacular Victorian Gothic Revival house with gardens, parkland and much more.  It had been the house of the Gibbs family for over 150 years. As the house was inherited by each generation of the Gibbs family, they stamped their own identity on the house and estate with different developments. The 14th June 2002 marked a new beginning for the house and estate when the National Trust announced their new acquisition.  The house was in need of extensive renovation and The National Trust set about re-roofing, re-wiring and re-plumbing the main house and generally improving access for visitor experience. 

Read More

CASE STUDY
University of Hertfordshire

  • Refurbishment and alterations of the Hutton Building and Hutton Hall, including multi-storey new-build Hutton-Hub student zone.
  • Refurbishment and extension of Prince Edward Hall.

To the design of Vincent and Gorbing and construction by Contractor Morgan Sindall in association with Stride Treglown as executive architects , the works included an extensive refurbishment of Prince Edward Hall to form a new Learning Zone and Refreshment Space. The end result is a stylish timber lined informal study and meeting area for students adjacent to a new café and seating area. Externally the building has been granite clad.

Read More