Resources

Oculus is committed to providing informative guidance to assist with the ever changing Building Regulations. The guidance notes endeavour to give a quick overview of the changes to act as an aide memoire for when the situation arises during the design stages for the need to incorporate the relevant amendments.

 

Guidance notes on recent Building Regulation changes can be downloaded below.

Amendments to Approved Documents - 2013-14

Download PDF

October 2015 Building Regulations Updates

Download PDF

CASE STUDY
Pegasus House

Standing immediately beside Barnwell House, iconic Aerospace Building Pegasus House has also officially opened following restoration and renovation works. Originally the headquarters of the Bristol Aerospace Company, Pegasus House is a Grade II listed art-deco building built in 1936 which is now at the heart of the new Airbus Aerospace Park. Several heritage features have been retained including a historic four storey stained glass window that chronologically illustrates the evolution of the Bristol Aeroplane Company’s planes, referencing Greek mythology & folklore.

Read More

CASE STUDY
Burwalls House

The Burwalls site consists of a substantial historic Grade II listed main house and stable block annex and lies in nearly 5 acres of land adjacent to Brunel’s world famous Clifton Suspension Bridge. The main house is in the Jacobethan style and was constructed in 1872 as a private dwelling by Joseph Leech, a local entrepreneur and owner of the Bristol Times and Mirror.

The site was purchased in 2014 by Kersfield Developments who obtained permission to split the main house into 5 impressive apartments, convert the Stable block in to 2 units and for the construction of 4 new detached dwellings.

The main house has been extended at various points during its history and some of the current works in this sensitive conversion were to remove elements of the more recent additions which are detrimental to the original building.

Read More

CASE STUDY
National Museum of the Royal Navy

Storehouse 10 at the historic naval dockyard in Portsmouth was constructed in the mid-eighteenth century, during an upsurge in naval building prompted by events such as the Seven Years War. It was originally used to store everyday supplies for working ships plus some naval items.

During the Second World War, Storehouse 10 was hit by an incendiary bomb, which destroyed the clock tower and most of the roof and upper floors. More extensive damage was prevented due to a strenuous firefighting effort to save the radar sets within, which were to be some of the first installed in Royal Navy ships.

Restoration of Storehouse 10 was gradual and was eventually completed in 1992. It has now been converted to form part of the National Museum for the Royal Navy complex. 

Read More