This websites use cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more details about cookies and how to manage them, see our cookie policy.

Farmiloe Building - London

a spectacular Grade II listed Victorian building

The Project

This spectacular Grade II listed Victorian building nestled in the borough of Islington was formerly a glass and leadworks completed in 1868 and owned by the Farmiloe family. For the past decade the building has been used as a filming location for movies such as Dark Knight, Inception and Sherlock Holmes as well as an event space.


Building Control

Oculus was appointed early in the design process for the Farmiloe building to assist the Design Team on Building Regulations related matters.

The retention of the listed Victorian building was an essential part of the project. The aim was to retain as much of the historic fabric as possible. The historic structure will be complimented by a new extension which will fully respect the host building in both design and materials.

The construction works are being carried out by Wates and are at an early stage. One knows that high quality design and construction is going to result in high quality office accommodation.


CASE STUDY
Gloucester Cathedral

Project Pilgrim will improve and restore specific areas of the Cathedral to ensure it can fulfil its role as a place of dynamic spiritual, civic and heritage activity and play a key role in the regeneration of the city.

Read More

CASE STUDY
Shakespeare's New Place / Nash's House

Spearheaded by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, a new oak and bronze gateway was created that opens on the original threshold of Shakespeare's New Place. This new permanent exhibition brings to life the story of Shakespeare's New Place and the personal life of its most famous occupant, and where he had his family home for 19 years. 

Read More

CASE STUDY
Burwalls House

The Burwalls site consists of a substantial historic Grade II listed main house and stable block annex and lies in nearly 5 acres of land adjacent to Brunel’s world famous Clifton Suspension Bridge. The main house is in the Jacobethan style and was constructed in 1872 as a private dwelling by Joseph Leech, a local entrepreneur and owner of the Bristol Times and Mirror.

The site was purchased in 2014 by Kersfield Developments who obtained permission to split the main house into 5 impressive apartments, convert the Stable block in to 2 units and for the construction of 4 new detached dwellings.

The main house has been extended at various points during its history and some of the current works in this sensitive conversion were to remove elements of the more recent additions which are detrimental to the original building.

Read More